The Midwives Alliance History, Vision, and Values
For three decades the Midwives Alliance has advocated a maternity care model that empowers women to take charge of their reproductive health and ensures optimal outcomes for mothers and babies.
As we prepare to celebrate our 30 th anniversary in 2012, the Midwives Alliance has a proud history of relentlessly advocating for women’s autonomy in their reproductive lives through promoting midwifery as a high-quality maternity care option.
The Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) is a professional membership organization that promotes excellence in midwifery, endorses diversity in educational backgrounds and practice styles, and is dedicated to unifying and strengthening the profession, thereby increasing access to quality health care and improving outcomes for women, babies, and families.
Vision and Values
As an organization dedicated to high quality, empowering, women-centered maternity care as exemplified by the midwifery model of care, the Midwives Alliance...
- Envisions a world in which all stakeholders are engaged in activities and institute policies that address the needs of women and families across the lifespan
- Envisions transforming the health care system using a social justice framework so all people can experience the benefits of the system
- Envisions a maternity care system in which both providers of care and those receiving care feel respected, satisfied, and valued
- Envisions a maternity care system that offers high quality, accessible, affordable, and culturally competent care for all clients and patients
- Envisions a maternity care system with a diverse multidisciplinary team of health care professionals working in collaboration to promote health and wellness for all women, newborns, and families
- Values each woman’s autonomy in making informed choices that affect her body, pregnancy, labor, birth, and parenting style, and that utilizes shared decision making between women and their healthcare providers
- Values inclusion of diverse voices and interconnectedness as key principles in organizational structure and function
The Midwives Alliance promotes professional development and continuing education of midwives so all women and babies will have access to practitioners who can provide excellent prenatal care, safe and empowering births, and privacy during the critically important bonding period of mother-infant attachment.